Chairperson of the Department: Linda Loubert
Professors: Faridul Islam, M.G. Quibria
Associate Professor: Randal Reed
Instructor: Joseph Kimani
Adjunct Faculty: Nick Miggans, Ashraf Ahmed
Lecturer: Meri Melkonyan
Consistent with the mission of Morgan State University and the College of Liberal Arts, the economics program seeks to provide top-class educational opportunity for students coming from diverse backgrounds. As a part of its offering in the general education sequence, the economics curriculum provides a comprehensive program of studies as a discipline. We prepare students who plan to get into the job market in the private and public sectors; and also those who plan to pursue higher studies leading to graduate and professional degrees.
The Department of Economics is responsible for broadening economic literacy among Morgan State University students in order for them to identify economic problems, alternatives, costs and benefits, to master a basic level of economic literacy as a way to help them to better comprehend the world. This will help them to make wise choices in an increasingly globalized world characterized by continuous shifts and changes. For non-economics majors and economics minors, the goal is the attainment of a sufficient level of economic literacy to allow students to understand how the market system works and how decisions about resource allocations are made.
The Department of Economics strives to:
- Promote economic literacy among Morgan State University students;
- Promote effective learning through student participation;
- Increase the number of students that pursue economics as a major and minor;
- Prepare its majors for graduate study or for careers in administration, banking, business, consulting, government, international relations, law, urban affairs, NGO’s and other related fields of endeavor;
- Increase the number of minors and non-major students who take upper level courses;
- Build and sustain external relations with alumni government, and other constituents.
ProgramsBachelor of Arts or Bachelor of ScienceMinor